Ringaskiddy Lower Harbour National School was established in 1898. Its location was determined by the fact that this was a central point for the children coming from outlying areas of Loughbeg, Barnahely and Ringaskiddy Village. It began as a boys and a girls school – one building – two doors and two principals with little or no contact between the schools. Girls came to school earlier than the boys, they went out to play at a different time and went home earlier than the boys.
In February 1938 the school became co-educational. In the 1960’s the dividing walls came down and it assumed its present shape. In the late 1950’s the outside dry toilets had water installed and the yard was tarmacked. The parents were very involved in the school improvements and much of the work was voluntary. In 1969 the ceilings were lowered and oil fired central heating was installed. In the early 1980’s toilets, sinks and new modern furniture were installed in the school.
In 1996, the one teacher school on Haulbowline Naval Base closed and amalgamated with us resulting in the name of the school being changed to Ringaskiddy Lower Harbour National School.